Saturday, December 11, 2010

Soap Box

Can I preach for a minute?  Trick question!  Of course I can, it's my blog.


We bought three more ducks--two Muscovy drakes and a silver hen named Dove.  Pizza Dough (great name Frankie!), the largest male, is slated to be the main event of this year's Christmas feast.

We haven't succeeded in going completely veg, but I can count on one hand the number of times I ate corporate meats this year. Eating food we've raised ourselves has been a really positive change for our family.  For one thing, it's taught me to be much less wasteful...You know what? Never mind.  Being preachy is taking too much time and effort today.  Suffice it to say that I'm pleased as punch to be a more principled conscientious eater, and am proud of how well treated and fed our animals are.

Speaking of which...our fridge is a total babysitter's nightmare.  See?

It's jam packed with greens and goodies for our feathered friends, but there's nothing good to snack on.  Wanna know why I took this picture?  'Cause one night I hired this cute girl to watch the kids and when I was walking her through the house I opened the fridge and told her she could eat anything she wanted. By the look on her face it was clear that she wouldn't be raiding the cupboards after the kids went to bed.  I felt bad, but secretly thought it was hilarious.  I tried to make up for it by bringing her a Snickers bar when I got back.

I would stock a Candy Cupboard for just such occasions, but I lack the willpower to withstand such a thing myself.  I'd be like Goldie Hawn in Death Becomes Her pre fountain-of-youth potion.  Remember?  So for now nothing changes--the sitters will just have to suck it up. Lucky ducks.

5 comments:

  1. I am jealous. I want chickens, but our HOA doesn't allow it. A couple of months ago we signed up for a delivery service that delivers local, organic veggies with the option to add on local, pastured meat. I love it. a. I don't have to go to the store b. I don't feel guilty eating it. Our fridge looks similar to that as well. It's a good thing my kids love ranch dressing, and will eat anything dipped in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Pizza Dough wouldn't look quite so chipper if he knew what this holiday season had in store for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So this post reminds me of something that happened the other day that I know you will appreciate - I found an Amish farmer who will sell us raw milk (illegal without a license in NY state, and the closest licensed farmer is 2 hours away). I was so excited and was telling some friends about it, when one of the ladies interrupted and said, "Wait, raw milk? Like... straight from the cow?" [paused, then] "Eeeewwww." And then I felt smug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now for my best insult ever:
    "Your fridge sucks!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. A- I DO appreciate that. Thanks for sharing. Do you drink it raw? I've purchased raw milk and used it to make cheese, but have always pasturized it in the process. We used to buy goat milk from a farm in Lehi for Jensie but Nate drank it once and said it tasted just like goats, so I never tried that either.

    ReplyDelete