Saturday, April 28, 2012

An Argument for Art

Doing a little homework for my YW lesson tomorrow night I stumbled upon this article, Confessions of an English Teacher, why we should choose artful literature over romance novels. I love this (click that link to see full article). You'll love it too.

A little taste of what you're in for...
"For example, the hero in the first book I read appears on the scene in a “thick sheepskin jacket, his shoulders broad and powerful, as was his chest, his legs long and lean in the fitted denims of faded blue.” He also has “piercingly deep blue eyes,” a “long straight nose, firm but sensual mouth, and strong square jaw.” Furthermore, he exudes “power and assurance,” his teeth are “very white” against his dark beard, his voice is “deep and attractive, as smooth as honey,” and his face is “deeply tanned.” The heroine discovers on her first meeting with this masculine wonder that “there was strength in the lean fingers that clasped about her upperarm, a strength she felt sure was tempered so as not to bruise her more delicate flesh.” He is, of course, “well over six feet in height, moving with natural grace for such a big man.” 2 (She, I suppose, moves as well as she can, considering the delicate condition of her flesh.)"
It's funny!

PS. I don't have facebook anymore. This is the best way I could think of to share good stuff.  It'll do.

6 comments:

  1. An excerpt from a romance novel? What is this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Emily, why must you always make things so difficult. Click on the link to the whole article. I just thought that bit was funny.

      Delete
  2. It took me like 3 minutes to find that link hidden in your text, but I read the whole article.

    I kept waiting for her to say that romance novels are like porn for women. That's what Seth always says. It's the living vicariously thing. Both imitations of real, good life.

    ReplyDelete