Friday, February 25, 2011

For Reals


I am not a farmer.  I know it says so on my sidebar, I wrote it.  But I will be a farmer, and I say that counts.  I believe that you can want something into being.  With lots of practice, study, and desire it can happen.  I am willing, and practicing, and studying my dream into being.

Folks, I live on a cul-de-sac, in the middle of the city.  My hands are tied by city-ordinances and practically no first-hand experience.  But God told me to do this.  That's right.  God.  So I killed a Tom.  I raised some Khakis.  I trained a dog.  I robbed some bees.  It's the best I can do with what little I've got.  It will get bigger.  I will get better. Can't wait.



15 comments:

  1. I freaking cried when I read this. But then again, you seem to have that effect on me today. Who cares about being nice when this is way more inspiring than nice ever would have been. I love it. For reals. And I dont know how to reconcile my eating around God's word. I tried the vegs and that's not right. Now we're back to happy meat- but how much and when? I'm still waiting for a face to punch. But in the meantime, this has righted things for me. I WILL will the best me into being as well. And this food journey, however exhausting and frustrating, has taken me places I'd not expected and is making me into a better person too, not just a better eater. Love you. Glad you posted this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it's time for you to move back to Utah and buy yourself some land.

    Plus, this didn't sound mean. It sounded like normal Erin, and I love normal Erin. Move back to Utah?

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.hobbyfarms.com/hobby-farm-home.aspx

    I sent you an email alert from this mag, too. I support, applaud, and admire you for your realness, Erin.

    I'll call you about this post. And btw, it was in no way rude or undiplomatic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's a crappy feeling to have your friends hate you for trying new things. utah isn't the most open place for that either, but you have family here and you can come teach a farming class at my school and we'll encourage you to do new things.
    love you.
    move back to utah.
    i sure do miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post, Erin. You are such a great writer and an amazing woman with equally awesome goals. I know this is terrible, but you offer up some great "food" for thought! (ugh, I'm awful, I know. I just couldn't resist and it is true- this is definitely something to ponder.) We love and miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, Erin. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well jeez, I guess the consensus is that you should move back to Utah.

    Nothin' wrong with any of it. You know who you are, what you like, and what you believe - something that the rest of us take much, much longer to figure out. So I say you wave your flag of Erin-ness high and shout your rah rah sis boom bah as much as you jolly well please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, you can totally will something into being, I couldn't agree with you more there! I've applied that to my life time and again.

    I know it doesn't alleviate the pain of losing a good friend, but for what it might mean to you, I'm pullin for you to stay yourself...she might come around yet and you will have stayed true to yourself.

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just thought to myself "This is a woman I wish lived next door!" I love a REAL person. Step up to the plate and bat, for Gods sake, ladies! :)

    I appreciatd your ability to be honest. THAT is commendable!

    Sarah
    Theweatheredword.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Erin, this is probably my favorite post of yours. I love you and think you're an amazing sister and a wonderful mother.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally commented yesterday and yet its not there. Stupid It was great too.
    Your awesome. You want to tackle everything and you try and if you dont hit it right on the nail you go again and again. You dont just sit there inspired you get up get active and do whatever it may be. I on the other hand just sit there. You are so opionated, passionate and couragous. I wish I could be more like you. Screw your old ex friend clearly she wasnt a very good friend or else she would love you for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that you're awesome Erin! I'm excited that we're moving back and can hang out again (even if for just a while). I love that you're real, you're true to yourself and you go for what you want. It's inspiring. There have been many times where I've wanted to do something and I think of you. I think of how much you kick butt at trying out what you want. Biking with three kids...Bee-Farming...ducks...wearing dresses because you want to. You're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Erin! I have loved reading about your accomplishments and your zeal to learn. I wand to be a woman just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post concerned my mom a lot, who read it and felt I was sad and defensive. While I guess I am a little of both of those things I really only wanted a chance to explain myself. I thought, If my closest friend feels like I'm a fake what must those people just stoppin' by wonder? Whether I'm happy or sad, I do so try to be honest.

    Tabitha, you're right. She wasn't a very good friend after all. But I can't help thinking that doesn't go both ways, as is the case in so many relationships and I do hope she and her family are doing well.

    I appreciate the support and love you've all shown both by encouraging my "experiments" and with your kind words here, by e-mail, and especially your letters. Snail mail feels extra special. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete