Monday, October 25, 2010

Borscht

Asher:  What's for dinner?
Me: Borscht.
Asher: (shoulders slumping) Ok, but can you leave out the beets?

Nope, and neither should you! 

Ashley's Famous Russian Borscht
with a few Southern tweaks

Helpful tips
Wear an apron! Beets bleed.
Dill and sour cream are must have garnishments to this soup. When venturing to the green grocer to buy ingredients for this beauty of a soup go straight to the herbs and see if they have fresh dill. If they don't, don't bother making it. Trust me.

Ingredients
Beets. 3 medium sized bulbs (about the size of your fist). Look for beats that appear moist and bleed slightly when you scrape the skin. Cut off the tail, cut off the top, peel and grate.
Carrots. 2-3, peeled and grated
Yellow onion. 1 whole finely diced.
Russet Potato. 1-2, peeled and grated
Kohlrabi.  3-4, peeled and grated
Turnips. 3-4 small turnips, peeled and grated.  Ashley will probably die when she sees this, but if you're a part of a CSA here in Columbus, you've got a bunch of root veggies you don't know what to do with, and guess what?  It tastes great in this soup!
Bay leaves.  2
Thyme.
Parsley.
Sea Salt.

Directions
In a large well oiled skillet (I use either olive oil, butter or coconut oil) saute onion until translucent and soft. Add shredded beets and carrots. Salt and pepper generously and saute on medium high heat for 10-15 minutes, or until colors bleed and vegetables become tender. Keep warm.

In a large stock pot combine 2 quarts water with 3-4 T white wine vinegar, a healthy dash of thyme, parsley (fresh or dried), and bay leaves. Salt generously.  Bring to boil.  Once sauteed vegetables are tender, add shredded potato and kohlrabi to boiling water. Once water returns to a full rolling boil add sauteed vegetables and watch the water turn red. Boil until potatoes are tender. Serve hot with a dollop of cold sour cream, a sprinkling of fresh chopped dill and marble rye bread. Just before devouring encourage your family or guests to gently stir sour cream into the soup and voila! red becomes fuchsia!

4 comments:

  1. I feel your pain, Asher. I don't like eating soup that tastes like dirt either no matter how pink'n-pretty it is! Love, Grammy Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 things I've never cooked with:
    Beets
    Kohlrabi
    Turnips

    1 think I have no idea how to pronounce:
    Kohlrabi

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom's never cooked with them either so don't listen to her. This does NOT taste like dirt--totally worth a try! It's impossible not to go back for seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I have cooked with all of those ingredients, can pronounce them all, AND went back for 3rds and 4ths for Borscht that one of our Russian teachers brought in and served with warm Rye bread. Y-U-M-M-Y!!!
    I'm reading a piece for Anth about how kids in Britian use penny candy (kets) to disrupt adult models/rules of eating and assert autonomy. I, of course, thought of your candy fiends. Here's my favorite quote from the article: "Sweets, for adults, are regarded as an adjunct to 'real' food and should not usurp the place of meals. For the child, as I hope to show, the reverse is true: it is meals which disrupt the eating of sweets."

    ReplyDelete