Thursday, March 25, 2010

<span class=
Frankie has Celiac Disease.

Now how 'bout that, pictures and words. It's been a while, huh? I've been really busy throwing myself a formidable pity party. I hate to be a Debbie Downer (except I really don't, just ask Miss Gen) so I've thought long and hard about how to put a positive spin on all of this.

This nice old guy in Sunday School told me I have "End of the World Syndrome" (after I started bawling in response to his "hello, how are you?"). He was right of course. Sure, life without wheat, barley, oats, and rye takes some getting used to, but that's all. Just some getting used to.

And lucky for us I've got a few tricks up my sleeve! Like this one:

*Thai Noodles
(Serves 6-8)

8 oz Rice Vermicelli
1 cup Baby Corn Cobs
1 1/2 cups Carrots, shredded
1 Zucchini, coarsely shredded
1 1/2 cups Mung Bean Sprouts
2 cups Napa Cabbage, chopped
1/2 cup Cilantro, chopped
3-4 Green Onions, chopped
1-2 Tbs Fresh Garlic, minced
1 inch French Ginger Root, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 cup Vegetable Broth
1/3 cup Natural Peanut Butter
1/3 cup Honey
1/2 tsp Sesame Oil
1/4 cup Organic Tamari (wheat-free Soy Sauce)
2 Tbs Rice Vinegar
2 tsp Chili-Garlic Sauce (I LOVE Thai Kitchens Sweet Red Chili Sauce)

Cook noodles in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, drain, and set aside. Combine green onions, garlic, ginger, and vegetable broth in a non-stick skillet. Saute for 2-3 minutes, then add peanut butter, honey, sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and chili garlic sauce. Whisk until smooth and heath thoroughly. Add noodles and remaining ingredients to the sauce and mix well. (I like to top it all off with a little more sweet chili sauce, 'cause it's just that good!)

These noodles are CRAZY delicious. See?

<span class=
<span class=
a saucy post-op Asher doing well

*I didn't invent this.  I had the recipe scribbled in pencil in a notebook, but don't know its source.  If this is your recipe, thanks.

12 comments:

  1. MMMMMMmmmm...Thai noodles. Looks Dee-lish. Give those babes a smooch. Asher's teeth look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anyone can handle CD it's you! Seriously, you're going to rock it. And those noodles are crazy LONG! And Asher's teeth do look beautiful. Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, the noodles are long, but also VERY sticky. Pick up one, and you get the whole bowl full. I haven't totally mastered rice products yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! Just a thought...have you sought a second opinion? Could it possibly be food allergies? If so, chiropractors and naturopaths can treat food allergies. It sounds a little hokey, but its worked for me. Was treated for milk, wheat, soy, shrimp, chocolate (all used to do wonders on my stomach + shrimp and chocolate made my throat swell and close up) and have been good/symptom free since. I don't know the extent of CD, but I swear my chiropractor thought he could fix anything! might be worth looking into.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, thanks Mandy. We've sought the advice of several pediatric specialists and Frankie's biopsies were processed in a specialized lab in Minnesota, so I feel certain that the diagnosis was correct.

    Celiac Disease isn't an allergy at all--it's an auto-immune disorder of the small intestine. Gluten blunts the intestinal villi that move food through our bodies and absorb vitamins and nutrients. As long as no gluten is consumed, a person with Celiac can live a healthy life and absorb food correctly, but it's a diet that must be strictly adhered to for life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In that case, I'll have to agree with someone who commented that if anyone can do it, you can do it! Certainly won't be easy, but you're pretty amazing like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Noodle picture rocks. I think it's the best picture I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can cook that for me ANY day! My Aunt and a couple of their kids have Celiac disease... want me to get you some of their recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, check out Bollywood market for Indian foodstuffs and spices. It's on University Ave. at 300 North-ish.
    I'm cooking veggie Indian this week with my friend, Sunil. Come on over!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If Sunil was at UVSC 4 years ago, I'm pretty sure I've cooked Indian food with him too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Erin - I found your blog a little while ago and occasionally have time to read it. :) My 2 kids and I have Celiac. Check out this blog: www.glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com She saved our lives!! Our favorites are the black bean and sweet potato enchaladas and the sweet potato corn bread. Also, we've tried just about EVERY SINGLE gluten free everything out there and found that Pamela's products are the best flour mixtures. That website is pamelasproducts.com, but I order all mine in bulk online at amazon.com. It's a little bit cheaper than buying it at the store. Her baking and pancake mix is the best (try the waffles - they are AWESOME!), and the bread mixtures are really good, too, and easily made in the bread maker. Bob's Red Mill has the best pizza flour mixture (although it's still not all that great), and Betty Crocker cake mixes are better than the Pamelas cake mixes.

    That was long. But I know how hard it is to go gluten free!! It took us a while to find Pamelas , but it really kept me from wanting to jump off a cliff.

    It gets better. I promise.

    ReplyDelete