Saturday, April 30, 2011

You Want Pictures? I Got Your Pictures

The Barwicks came for Easter!  It was messy, and loud, and someone was always either crying or puking.  In other words, it was faaaaan-tastic.  Seriously, I loved every minute of it.
I took like five pictures they whole time they were here.  Mostly of Frankie. I don't know why, probably just because she's the only one who ever holds still long enough to say "cheese."

Frankie had the flu...
 but it was nothing a little Smooze couldn't fix. 




Heather said all kinds of nice things about our Easter...here.

We decided to tell the kids the truth about the Easter Bunny (and the rest of those sneaky magic gift-givers) this year.  Nate got the conversation off to a rolling start by yelling "Hey kids, there's no Santa!" while we were all driving home from the grocery store.

Jensie didn't believe it so when we got home I pulled out my secret little box of her baby teeth--proving that not only am I Santa, but the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, and St. Patrick's Leprechaun too. Frankie had a really hard time not spilling the beans to Josh and Ezra.  She cracks me up.  Rabbit or no rabbit, they still took in a pretty good haul:



In other news, Jensie learned to sew!  While we were in Oregon last year Nate's mom helped her make a pair of pajama pants.  She's been waiting for me to help her with several other projects but I never seem to have the time.

Yesterday she decided to take matters into her own hands.  She spent all day stitching little gifts for the family--Nat, Nate, and I all got cell phone covers, Frankie got a "treasure pocket" and Asher got a "neck blanket."  She saved the best for herself though.   Who wouldn't?  Check out this awesome purse.



She's sew cool.

7 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you decided to tell your kids about all the "fake figures" in their lives. I have always thought it messed up that we pretty much lie to our kids about it all. If all those are fake, then is God fake too? Christian and I are still playing in to the pretend part of it, but I wonder if we will end up doing the same as you and tell them before they figure it out on their own and feel deceived by everyone. Can't wait to see you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you and your friend could get together. So I have to ask... why tell them? And why now? I'm just curious. Lay it on me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just can't believe how curly Frankie's hair is and what a good seamstress Jensie is. I miss those little girlies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does anyone else think Frankie looks like a baby sized Marilyn Monroe in that first picture?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too want to know - why tell them? and why now? And what about all of the kids that they will come in contact with whose parents want to have the fun and joy of the pretend folks? Your kids aren't going to be able to keep the secret and are going to break a lot of little hearts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such fun pictures of everybody.
    You all look great !
    Asher -- a buddy, army men, and carpet jungle. perfect.
    @Seth -- yeah, I see it, too.
    Frankie, your red striped dress is so happy.
    Jensie -- I love your purse. Awesome job. Maybe you and I can sew something up while you're in Utah.
    Can't wait to see you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually don't mind lying to my kids a bit. I lie to them all the time. Like, "Stop crying. Your fish oil doesn't taste THAT bad." (It so does.)

    But they were getting kind of bratty and it was mostly Santa's fault. They seemed to feel entitled to all kinds of commercial goods that we just couldn't afford. It's not possible to persuade kids that maybe they won't get an iPod because it's out of Santa's budget. He's magic. What does he care?

    I just wanted them to know that give them gifts because we love them. It's our pleasure to do nice things for them. But there are limits in what we're able to provide, and I hope to stress the importance of gratitude while they're still young and impressionable.

    As they say here in Dixie, you get what you get and you don't pitch a fit. I dreaded the "Man! All I got were these stupid old toys and I wanted an X-Box."

    We'll still read stories about Santa and sing Rudolph and kiss under the mistletoe. But we'll do that stuff just because it's fun. Same goes for pots of gold, teeth under pillows, carving pumpkins, and baskets of goodies.

    As for breaking hearts? Don't worry. They seem to really appreciate the responsibility of being in on the secret.

    ReplyDelete