Friday, January 7, 2011

And Then There Were Eggs

This morning I went to let the ducks out of their house for the day and found two perfect eggs laying in their straw.  I couldn't believe it!  I was so excited I seriously considered spending the rest of the day making an egg shaped pinata to fill with gluten-free candy and throwing a big juevo fiesta.  But then I just washed the poop off of them and stuck them in the fridge instead.

Can you spot the duck eggs?  Hint: They're front and center.
They look just like the chicken eggs, only much smoother.  They're light brown and a teensy bit speckled.  I don't know what they taste like though--we're saving them 'til Nate gets home to crack 'em open.

PS.  I seriously don't know how people take pretty pictures of food.  I took this on my front porch, because my kitchen's really dark.   But you know what?  Taking your eggs out of the fridge to photograph them on the porch is just plain weird.

5 comments:

  1. YAY!!! Soon you'll have so many you won't know what to do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but it's been hit and miss. We haven't gotten two in the same day again, and there have been two days when we haven't gotten one at all. I guess it will take another month or so for them to mature and lay regularly.

    A hawk carried one of them away this morning. Boo! We're down to four layers. We've been letting them out to forage and stretch their wings every morning, but it seems likely that the hawk will come back and pick them all off one by one. We're going to keep them in their house for the winter, and let them resume their grazing in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, no. But let's examine the evidence shall we?

    We walked the whole perimeter of the frozen leaves and snow hadn't been disturbed at all, so it wasn't a cat/dog/fox.

    Also, the ducks don't fly. They never learned, I don't know why. They were content to just sit at home and swim in the pond. Now that they're laying, they're too heavy and CAN'T fly...which leaves us with an owl or a hawk (they've been circling over the house for weeks. It's so strange, even our neighbors have commented on it).

    Our ducky disappeared on a sunny morning, so I'm guessing was the latter.

    Do you think scarecrows ward off birds of prey?

    ReplyDelete