Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Breakfast of Champions

I baked a chocolate cake. The result was something so dense and foreign I hesitate to call it cake at all. For the sake of my pride I did my best to make it look like I'd done it on purpose. I sliced it up, dried it out, and renamed it "chocolate crackers." Then I served it to my kids for breakfast. A dollop of peanut butter, a slice of banana, and voila! Brain food.

Photobucket
Ignore the mountain of trash erupting behind their pretty little heads. Or don't. I'm over it. The rest of my kitchen looks like this. The overflowing garbage can goes with the decor.

Photobucket
It is important to note, however, that our home is not often in such a state. I've been laid up for two days with strep throat, and except for one quick trip to the grocery store for some Chamomile tea and a large bottle of antibiotics the kids have been on their own. All things considered things could be much worse. Nothing's flooded or burned to the ground--I'm counting my blessings.

I'll say this though, the once tight-knit sweater called my sanity is beginning to unravel. In addition to this,
Photobucket
(yes, that's the new half-gallon of milk I purchased and subsequently misplaced. Finally found it in the cupboard, warm and spoiled, right where I left it), I found my recent visit to the local understaffed and under-sanitized (but who am I to judge?) Urgent Care a restful opportunity to sit down and take a load off. You know things are bad when having your throat cultured feels comparable to a day at the spa!

Lucky for me, I've only got to hang on a little longer. We're in the home stretch--40 days and counting folks. So hurry home sweetie. I'm about to lose it and there's mopping to be done!

7 comments:

  1. i read the whole thing, it's hilarious.
    i think it's funny that you re-purposed the cake, that you're over the garbage, and that you have a picture of spoiled milk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy people are always funnier huh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm praying these next 40 days go by quickly for you. even with strep throat you're such a rock star! couldn't you re-purpose the milk for yogurt? sounds like a great cover story to me. here's to healthy, fast-passing days ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 40 days! Yippee! Feel better and maybe make a paper chain to pass the time. I always like those when I'm counting down to something (except not a mission. way too long and depressing).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, my garbage can always looks like that and I'm almost never sick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I want my kitchen to look like your kitchen. How do I get those cabinets? Did you do them yourself? Send colors/instructions, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 40 days.. Bless your heart!! I am happy for you! Dang Strep, that's the worst.. Taking the trash out is overrated.

    ReplyDelete