Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Check

<span class=

I haven't forgotten the spring goals I set last year. And that one about learning to slaughter a turkey? Done and done.

Charlie at Benjamin Farms helped me dress an 18 lb. heirloom Holland White, and my dad cooked him up fancy just for Mother's Day.

I'd never met Charlie when I called and asked him to teach me how to slaughter a bird. And while it's probably not a request he often gets, he agreed and patiently walked me through the entire process.

I was nervous about being totally disgusted, but the whole time I was at the farm, I felt proud and happy. It never felt gross. Sure, the smell of boiled turkey feathers is somewhat off-putting, but in a few short hours I learned so much.

I learned more about what I'm capable of, and more about community. I so appreciated Charlie's willingness to share the things he knows. I just kept thinking This is how it's supposed to be--healthy, well fed animals being killed quickly and respectfully, neighbors helping neighbors--this is what it's all about.

So guys, go learn something. And if you have to, ask a stranger for help. Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

3 comments:

  1. Erin, thank you for making me a part of this wonderful experience! For thinking of me and wanting me to learn with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oddly, I feel this way about nursing. I thought poking people with needles and collecting samples of body fluids would make me wanna hurl, but it doesn't. I like helping people. Amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it.

    Whoever thought you'd be slaughtering your own food? Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you rock, girl. i can't even cut up a dead chicken, i get too grossed out. but i do see it as something i'm gonna have to learn in order to be a real woman. you rock, i bow.

    ReplyDelete