This is probably the fourth time I've used that title on this blog. I just can't get enough of those chocolate lookers. When Jensie was an infant I brought her to UVSC to show her off to my favorite professor. He took one look at those eyes and said, "Boy, she'll break a lot of hearts with those brown beauties!" I'm afraid he was probably right. Sometimes I just can't believe what a gorgeous girl she's growing into. What really gets me though is how passionate and capable she's become. Sure she's pretty, but you should hear what she's got going on right now.
 |
| Miss J. for Levi's- at one of her last photo shoots. Jensie traded in her modeling career for a cute pixie cut. |
Jensie is remarkably talented and so helpful around the house. The other day I was in the kitchen making dinner and Jensie walked in and started doing the dishes without being asked! Then she brought up something she'd seen in the news--suffering in North Korea--and we had a great discussion about politics, our own abundance and blessings, and ways to help others. It was one of the most amazing experiences I've had as a parent--such a neat glimpse of the woman Jensie will be someday. I have decided I can't wait for my kids to be teenagers. To have them express opinions in a mature and thoughtful way? Man.
Jensie's grown a lot this year and has really started to shine at school. She is the editor of the lower school newspaper (Dwight School is PK-12) and was thrilled to report that she beat out of a couple of older candidates because the faculty adviser felt she had the "best attitude for the job."
 |
| Left: "I can effect social change" self-portrait. The art teacher said they didn't have to draw accessories so Jensie omitted her glasses. She can't wait 'til she's old enough for contacts. Right: Jensie has been lucky to have Ms. Kremer teach her for two years in a row. That woman is a godsend. She knows just how to motivate our sweet and sour firstborn. |
 |
| Fifth graders for change! Why talk about it when you can do it? Jensie asked parents to sign a petition against racist practices in Australia. Others encouraged boycotts and one classmate wrote to China's prime minister and president with ideas about improving their air quality. |
Last week, Nate and I were proud to attend her first "persuasive essay" presentation. Research on her topic, Racism in Australia, was completely self-driven. Without any help from her teacher or us, Jensie's speech was thoughtful, detailed, and articulate. The delivery was spot on and she closed by inviting the audience to "Have a nice racism-free day." Thanks, Jense, don't mind if we do.
Goodness the pre-tweens are fun. Jensie's still pragmatic about clothes and hair, but adores makeup and changes her nail polish nightly. She loved her Halloween eyeliner so much she now wants to be "goth." I'd worry, but last year one of my young women at church told me, "
Goth is a fashion,
emo is a state of mind." So that's cool. Jensie can wear dark makeup as long as her personality isn't dark to match. Not that there's much fear of that. While her ideas get bigger and better, she gets sweeter and sillier. The last time she brought home a scholastic book order she circled every book with the word "romance" in the description. She and her girlfriends giggle over Google chat when their homework is done, and Jensie says she'd like to meet her someday boyfriend while she's working at a cafe.
"Wouldn't that, like, be just, like, so romantic, mom?"
Yeah, Jense. Totally. Or as you say, totes.
I love her. Don't tell, but she just might be my favorite niece.
ReplyDeleteAn old soul that Jensie.
ReplyDeleteSo proud of Jensie and her mom. And dad. :)
ReplyDelete