We're buying a farm! Not now, but soon...ish. Sometimes it's so thrilling we can't think of anything else to talk about and sometimes it's so scary we get sick and can't sleep a bit. It's like, homesteading, hurray! Then, starving off the land, agghhh! Since neither of us is too keen on subsistence farming right off the bat (what with three kids and a mortgage) we're doing everything we can to make the transition as smooth as possible. The master plan goes something like this:Nate incurred two additional years of active duty service when he transferred his GI Bill (free college for soldiers) to me, so he will leave the Army in 2016. In the meantime he spends several hours a night reading farm blogs, books, and magazines and writing letters to successful farmers across the South. Add that to Nate's experience growing up on his grandparents' small farm and participating in 4-H and FFA and we've got a pretty good idea of what we need to get started. I know what you're thinking, reading isn't the same as doing, and you've certainly got a point. Nate mentions fencing or rocket stove blueprints from time to time, but I really hadn't understood how extensive his research has been until last night.
We invited an elderly missionary couple from our church to come over and tell us about their farm in Canada. They gave us some great "insider tips," and then Nate laid out all of his plans--everything from orchards to trenches--and by the end of the night, our guests had both pulled out pencils and were taking notes! We are in good hands, I tell ya. It was amazing to hear Nate talk about so many things I've never even considered. We'll dig a well this way... and breed these native birds... I had to laugh when Nate said, "When it comes to the farm, Erin and I are almost talking about two different things." I'm afraid it's true. My imagination doesn't stretch beyond about a two acre radius of the some-day house. In fact, I rarely even think out of the kitchen. Oh the goodies I will can! (Or "put up" as they say in Dixie). If you thought my house plans were extravagant, you should see the list of fruits and veggies I expect Nate to supply me with!
When we decided one of us ought to farm full time, Nate practically won out on brute strength alone. But I'll still do my part. Last year I went back to school to learn some "marketable" skills. I finally earned that pesky Bachelor's degree and will apply to grad school this winter. I've just gotta make it through the GRE and I'll be practically home free. Just thinking about that awful test makes me ill. They changed it this year and I heard it got harder. Boo.
Eventually I'd love to find a way to work with military families in my own private practice. There are some great "Arms to Farms" organizations in the states that teach soldiers to farm and I'd love to offer work therapy and counseling on our land. At about the same time Nate leaves the Army, I'll wrap up a Master's degree in social work or psychiatric nursing. Which program I end up in really comes down to whatever school accepts me, though I've got my heart set on Vanderbilt. Pray for me. I've got all my eggs one tiny Nashville basket, so please bless I get in!
The kids are doing what they can to prep too. We've been pinching pennies and they often remind each other that no, mom can't buy any treats because we're saving for a farm. This year we're switching from presents to experiences for birthdays and Christmas. In lieu of gifts, Jensie has asked for a trip to the Kitty Cafe next week. Apparently you pay to sit and drink cocoa surrounded by house cats that climb on your table and rub up against your legs. *GAG* Seoul's also home to a couple of Puppy Cafes and a Sheep Cafe, in case you were wondering. I'm counting on it to be a very Korean experience.
This oughta give you some indication of Jensie's farm goals. That girl is so good with animals! I secretly hope she grows up to a a veterinarian/writer. The next Alf Wright perhaps? She will be one of the lucky few--a girl with a horse. We're so confident in Jensie's ability to care for a big hairy creature that "thoroughbred" (her choice) is near the top of our list of "First Year Must Haves." She is also dying to milk a little Dexter cow and raise her own meat rabbits.
Asher, on the other hand, is not so sure about all of this. His one true passion seems to be computer games. We're hoping to put that to good use too though. Right now he's taking some kids' coding classes online and I figure we'll just leave him in charge of the family website.
Frankie's needs are simple. She wants to help weed the garden, eat honey, and get a "weiner cat." Oh yes, and buy a baby. We feel almost as passionate about foster parenting and adoption as we do about farming. I probably suggested once that we are not only saving money for the farm but so that we can afford to take care of more children someday, and now Frankie makes the whole thing feel very black market.
We'll be walking through the grocery store and she'll say "Hey mom, can we buy these chips?" When the answer is no she leans in conspiratorially and says in a loud fake whisper "Oh yeah, because you want to buy a baby, right mom?"
The other day she complained that "[her] life is just too boring without an adopted baby" so I think she'll be a big help when we finally manage to buy ourselves one.

i love you and your family. i just plain do.
ReplyDeletecan't wait to see your dreams come to fruition.
I love it when people dream big and make it happen! I can't wait to live your adventure vicariously;) By the by, what kid's coding class is Asher taking online?
ReplyDeleteI tried learning Java Script with him and it went ok but he doesn't know enough math to get through some of the lessons. So I looked again and found "Scratch." We haven't had time to get to work yet but this time we'll be armed with a notebook to take notes together and I think he'll pick it up because he was so fascinated by JS. Nate
Deletehttp://www.code.org/learn/scratch
A weiner cat!?!? Hahahaha. This all seems like a great master plan.
ReplyDeleteCool plans, but don't get too attached to your purchased baby. I had a dream you brought a little 3-month old foster girl to a family gathering. I took one look at her and knew she was mine. My dreams have been known to be prophetic (they haven't). And I named her Jordana (I won't). Just so you know.
ReplyDeleteErin, I just read this all the way through today. (better late than never. And it doesn't help that i've been camped on the couch for a friction' week now, sick.) Funny and sweet. I love your little farm family. Can't wait to see this dream become a reality.
ReplyDeleteA weiner cat!?!?
I think Frankie needs to be the writer!
FRICKIN'!
ReplyDelete