**Updates to this post in the comment section below**
One fuzzy photo is all we've got to commemorate our first year in Seoul. Happy anniversary to us!
Today was much like every other, with one notable exception- Jensie and Asher took their first city bus ride...alone. Don't worry, it's quite safe. In fact, they shared the bus with a few of their classmates who get home the same way. Still, I worried. Even after I'd given them permission and we'd reviewed every step they'd take --wait for the green bus, scan your T-money card, press the red button, ask the driver to wait, listen carefully for the name of our stop--I worried. I walked to the school and hid around the corner of a convenience store to watch them board. Jensie spotted me and and walked over with a smile.
"Mom," she said confidently, "we got this."
The year has had its ups and downs. We'd hoped to fully immerse ourselves in Korean culture but that's hard to do from our apartment in "Little America." It's like we're only half here. The kids are struggling in school. They read and speak Hangul pretty well, but Jensie is behind in math and Asher's often bullied. Frankie still asks to go "home to Georgia" every single night.
We met with Asher's teachers last week. He broke down in class and told her he hates Korea. He scribbles on his desk, refuses to take tests, and regularly loses his homework (not to mention his shoes). Once he failed to show up for class.
I took Asher on a long walk to talk about it all. We talked about the good things we have, but I also let him vent a while. He likes his teacher but hates how she worries about his homework "like it's a big deal or something." He's afraid North Korea will attack and often has nightmares of them invading. He doesn't like the seaweed in kimchi soup. Why do people have to eat little fish bones in his face? It's making him crazy. Mostly, he despises the "black parts of the Korean flag. That color is ugly."
"Do you want to know why the American flag is better?" he asked.
"Sure," I said.
"Because the red and white stripes and the blue, well, it's just, 50 stars. One for each state. No more, no less." That's why.
We've started a new homework routine with each of the kids. Jensie's involves more math. Tears abound. We've increased the tutor's hours and scratched plans for weekend getaways. After a recent session with Jensie's private tutor, the tutor told us tactfully, "I think maybe she doesn't pay attention."
That night in bed as Nate and I talked this over he chuckled and shrugged "I guess we over-estimated them this year," he said. "I thought they'd go to school and learn some sh*t." Funny. Sort of.
It hasn't been all bad though. Our children are bilingual, whether they want to be or not. We have access to an unlimited supply of Angry Birds, Hello Kitty, and Pororo goods, which the kids buy up with their modeling money. Oh yes, they are professional models here.
Frankie took a field trip to the COEX Aquarium yesterday. The sharks left her spellbound.
Natalie finished up high school with a bang. 4.2 GPA, All-American cheerleader, starting forward on the varsity soccer team, "Best Dressed", a cute boyfriend, and a pocket full of "sticky pictures." Before she left we talked about how we've both become kimchi snobs. We moved here loving cabbage kimchi but have moved on to tastier raddish and cucumber varieties.
Holly has come to stay in her place. People say we look alike. I am so flattered. She does the dishes without being asked. Tomorrow she auditions for two of Korea's most prestigious ballet companies. She and Jensie go to Zumba together.
I'm still crazy about the man who's been my husband for 10 years. Nate likes his job and does it well. We get a lot of time together. We go on dates most Fridays. Last week he took me out and let me order some bread, and an anchovy pizza, and more bread. M'mmm gluten.
When the weighty cement and smog of the city are too heavy to bear, we head for the hills. Namsan tower's become Nate's "happy place." We've spent chilly nights in Yongin Forest where we've climbed into sleeping bags warmed with hot water bottles after gorging on Nate's delicious camping cooking. Thoughtful Korean rangers check in from time to time asking if we're warm enough. We are the only campers without electric space heaters. We are crazy Americans.
Monsoon rains fall often but we all have umbrellas. The children haven't lost their galoshes and I still have my Crocs.
Yes, some things are bad. But mostly things are wonderful.
We got this.
We got this.

fantastic update. of course you have this. i hope that school gets better for jensie and asher (i love his logical sense of american pride). they really are such intelligent, witty kids. it is like i always say - i hope our kids can be half as awesome as a bigler kid.
ReplyDeleteHahaha, Mary, there is nothing logical about his sense of American Pride! But I love it too. Stay tuned for his musical world-debut next week. He hummed the National Anthem for me on video last night. Complete with cymbals!
DeleteErin, this is an amazing post. I cried. I laughed. I miss you all SO much!!!
ReplyDeleteHere's a little unsought advice from your mother and grandmother of your children ( I know how much you love that!):
Reconsider American school for the kids? You know I'm a huge proponent for immersion, but not total misery. My heart's breaking for Asher and Frankie--Jensie seems a little more resilient. It seems hey would be happier if school weren't so dreadful every single day.
Ask Holly about being thrust into an Argentine classroom. :)
Anyway, love to you all. Happy first year anniversary. xoxoxo
So, I asked Holly about her experience in Argentina and she said, "All I remember is that the first day I cried and held mom's hand and didn't want her to go and then I was speaking Spanish!" No harm done! I sent you a crazy long e-mail with more detail about their school situation. Hopefully it'll put your mind at ease.
Deletethis made me cry. i miss you guys. and i miss korea. :(
ReplyDeleteNatty, I found a really pretty picture of you today that we took our first week here. I'll e-mail it to you!
DeleteI can only imagine how tough it would be to live in another country, after being in Ukraine for 5 weeks for an adoption I can sympathize somewhat with the language issues and other challenges! I'm glad to hear its not ALL bad though, sounds like some really amazing stuff is happening too!
ReplyDeleteLora, since you adopted your daughter in Ukraine did she come to your family speaking only Russian? If so, I imagine that you're facing a few language challenges of your own. Good luck to you! Isn't motherhood the best?
DeleteSince more than a few of you are awfully worried about my kids now (sorry!) I feel I should clarify a couple of things: First, the cancelled weekend plans were mine and Nate's, not the family's. He has conference in Hawaii next week and I was going to go crash on the beach with him. He just got transferred to a new unit here and will need to go Hawaii at least annually. So I going to stay home and try to tag along on his next trip instead.
ReplyDeleteEven though we've really cracked down on school work, we still try to give the kids a lot of play time. We go swimming every chance we get and play tag or visit friends while it's sunny out. We still have Fabulous Movie Friday and I make sure to read to them and spend a little one-on-one time with each kid at bedtime. Jensie and I are going to read the last chapter of The Graveyard Book tonight. That book is scary!
Second, the day after I wrote this I had a great meeting with the kids' teachers. Asher wasn't exactly telling the whole story about his being bullied. He neglected to mention the times he's picked a few fights too. Imagine that! The teacher seems to be doing a good job of supervising what is going on in the classroom and said she does not think it is too serious. We are going to continue to teach and comfort Asher and trust the teacher's judgment at school. I think we've worked out a pretty good plan for helping the kids catch up on missed work. We've increased our private tutor's hours and they are going to get some more help over summer vacation next week.
Asher's teacher reported that he is "very brave" and regularly answers questions in class and only speaks Hangul at school. It made me so happy and proud to hear her say that. He's also the "best in his class at PE." What a bunch of goofballs!
Jensie's problems in math started long before she went to Korean school. She is a bit of perfectionist who does not like to try new things for fear of failing. I think she's actually the least resilient of our children because she holds a grudge so well. In her teacher's words "she is very stubborn." Shocker! She hasn't made much progress this year because she is determined not to, but she is very popular at school and has lots of friends. I think the extra work we're doing now to help her with her math will really pay off in the long run.
We knew from the start that this would be extremely difficult for the kids, but we talk about our decision to put them in Korean schools on a daily basis. We don't want this all to be a big waste of their time, but we will definitely pull the plug if we feel like it would be best for the kids. We want to challenge them, not cripple them. At this point, the pros still outweigh the cons so we will keep on truckin'!
so good to hear. we have some friends in our ward moving to korea with their 3 kids (12, 9, 6) this fall. i'm going to send them a link to your blog, can i give them some contact info (e-mail) as well?
ReplyDeleteMary,
DeleteDefinitely! Will they be moving to Seoul? Is their 12 yr old a girl? If so, she'd be one of my YW. That would be awesome!
yep, their oldest is a gal (girl, boy, girl). just sent kim your e-mail address. they are also really interested in doing immersion for school as well. she was pretty excited when i told her about your blog at church. we do the ragnar race with them, so i mentioned nate being a runner, and i know they will be happy to hear about some routes. crazy, small world!
DeleteGlad to read your update.
ReplyDeleteRadish kimchi is better :)
Erin, you and Nate are doing a great job. I don't regret much, but if I did have to say that I regret this or that, it would be something along the lines of wishing that I'd pushed my children to do more with their amazing talents and gifts, and urged them not to quit when the going got rough. All of you seem to get it now, but there are those missed opportunities when you were younger and more pliable that I wish you had gotten full value from. I sure love you. Never ever give up. >Dad
ReplyDelete